• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Finding forgotten "Ordinamenti" & similar things

I'm searching for some old Ordinamenti (Organizational Tables) for the Sardinian Army before the First War of Independence, specifically the ones for the Infantry Regiment. Does someone know where I can find them?

For Example:
Organic of an Italian Line Infantry Company of 1861:
-1× Capitano (Captain)
-1× Tenente (Lieutenant)
-2× Sottotenenti (Sub-Lieutenants, equivalent to Ensigns)
-1× Furiere (Quatermaster Sergeant)
-1× Caporale Furiere (Quatermaster Corporal)
-2× Tamburini (Drummers)
-6× Sergenti (Sergeants)
-12× Caporali (Corporal)
-20× Soldati di Prima Classe (Private 1st Class)
-104× Soldati di Seconda Classe (Private 2nd Class)

I found this on Issuu, specifically on the "IL PRIMO ESERCITO ITALIANO 1861-1870 VOL I" by S. Alese, A. Viotti published by Biblioteca Militare (link: https://issuu.com/rivista.militare1/docs/il-primo-esercito-italiano-tomo1-testo-opere-varie), but this and the others all of them are about the Italian Army on the aftermath of the Second War of Independence.

I'm asking this because I found on Google Books pamphlets like this "Tavole sinottiche del regolamento per l'esercizio e le evoluzioni della fanteria approvato con r. decreto del 17 ottobre 1852: Scuola di Compagnia", so I hope there is a chance that I have not to go digging deeply in an archive to found documents like this...

P.S.: someone has a PDF copy of "Proposizione per la formazione di truppe leggere della terza specie sotto la denominazione di Bersaglieri" and "Proposizione per la formazione di una compagnia di Bersaglieri e modello di uno schioppo per suo uso" by Alessandro La Marmora?

Last edited:

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Certainly a challenge to find. A period I have not researched. I did find this book that appears to have of the info you are seeking. There is a volume that covers the earlier period Soldati e Milizie Lucchesi dell'ottocento (1799-1847)

Soldati e Milizie Lucchesi dell'ottocento (1799-1847)

In the meantime I dig through the web for the exact numbers of Savoy Infantry Regiment a 1st/2nd War of Independence, here there are the numbers of the first Alpini companies:

Organic of an Italian Alpini Company of 1872:
-1× Capitano (Captain)
-3× between Tenenti (Lieutenants) & Sottotenenti (Sub-Lieutenants, equivalent to Ensigns)
-1× Furiere (Quatermaster Sergeant)
-1× Caporale Furiere (Quatermaster Corporal)
-3× Trombettieri (Buglers)
-8× Zappatori (Sappers)
-6× Sergenti (Sergeants)
-12× Caporali (Corporal)
-7× Soldati di Prima Classe (Private 1st Class)
-88× Soldati di Seconda Classe (Private 2nd Class)

Source is "REGIO DECRETO 15 ottobre 1872, n. 1056", here is the link to a PDF: https://www.normattiva.it/do/atto/caricaPdf?cdimg=072U105600100010110001&num=0001&dgu=1872-11-08

And here is the link to the Rivista Militare edition in wich Perrucchetti published the article that started the chain of events that led to the creation of the Alpini: https://issuu.com/rivista.militare1/docs/1872-tomo2-testo (pages 92 to 110 on the site)

P.S.: if someone knows were the first Alpini companies were based, send me a message with them.

Last edited: