• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Italian and Greek losses in the Greek campaign 1940-41

DrG

For the Greek Campaign (Italo-Greek War) and the operations from Albania against Yugoslavia in April 1941, Mario Montanari reports, in his "L'Esercito Italiano nella campagna di Grecia", 1999, page 805, the following Italian losses:
  • deaths: 13,755 (included 10 colonels)
  • wounded: 50,874
  • missing in action: 25,067 (most of which fallen on the battlefield)
  • ill: 52,108
  • frostbitten: 12,368
Can anybody provide further data, please?

Last edited:

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Let me see if I can find some additional sources. I have the Greek officials, but I would assume that the abridged volume used the same data.

There is a web source that provide data on Italian operated POW camps. I will need to see if I still have the URL.

Reactions: DrG

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't found any different numbers in the Greek officials, but i am still working through the volumes.

Here is the link for I campi fascist . The site covers all types of camps including POW. No great way to search for Greek POWS that I know of, one must check each POW camp to see which nationalities were housed at that location. Original documents linked in each individual camp entry.

DrG

Thanks. By the way, the Greek definition of "Prisoners of war (on the battlefield)" is somwhat peculiar: what does it mean?

Anyway, also the total of deaths is quite interesting, because it is rather easy to provide data wich are correct and wrong at the same time: for example, counting only soldiers killed in action and not those died of illness.