• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Italian L6/40 Tanks in the far South

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
by Kuno » Fri Jun 12, 2009

It was reported by the advancing Free French in January 1943 that when they entered Sebha (which was abandoned by the Italians), they found many abandoned tanks of the type L6/40 and many of them in perfect condition. General Leclerc in one of his communique says that the Fighting French had captured 18 of such tanks in Sebha.

My questions:

- Were there really 'many' such tanks?
- When were they brought there?
- What task?
- Which units?

...any information...?

--------------

by Dili » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 pm

GRUPPO CORAZZATO "LANCIERI DI NOVARA" in Littorio Division had 52xL6 as TOE. I have a note that L6 was replaced by AB41 in Dec42 but maybe some remained. There are several Cavalry units fielded with them in 1942 that could have been employed as gruppo esplorante (recon groups) of bigger units, check the divisions that were sent to Tunisia for example. Note that calling L6/40 "Tanks" in 1943 is a bit too much, with a 20mm gun they were no more than a recon car with tracks. In my notes, it says 280 were made in 1941.

--------------

by Lupo Solitario » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:26 am

Difficult, it had substantially been destroyed at Alamein.

----------------

by Graziano Gittardi » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:21 pm

Hi,

The unit was the Light Cavalry Regiment "Lodi" 2nd Squadron , whose CO was Cap. Eugenio Montessoro.
2nd Sqd. aligned 28 L6/40 light tanks, 14 Fiat 666 with trailers for transport, 1 Lancia 3Ro for recovery and other minor stuff.
It had arrived in Libya end of September 1942.

You can find a very detailed combat history of RECo Lodi in Lybia and Tunisia here:
http://www.cavalleriaitaliana.it/modules/news/article.php?storyid=19&storypage=2
The chapter dedicated to 2nd Sqd. is the XV:
http://www.modellismopiu.net/ci/pdf/C15.pdf
Have a good reading

Graziano

--------------------

by jwsleser » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:34 pm

Graziano

Great information. I enjoyed reading the history and the 2nd Squadron. I never knew Italian armor operated so far south. Now bookmarked.

Pista!

Jeff