• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Libyan Divisions June 10, 1940

Wargames

Where were the two Libyan divisions located on June 10? Were they in 5th Army or 10th? If any in 5th, when were they shipped to Cyrenaica and where did they land?

Thanks!

jbroshot

From this source, to be found and viewed on ISSU

pages from rivista militaire

(at pages 355 to 358)

It would appear that 1a Divisione Libica was under command of Tenth Army in June 1940 and stationed near Bir el Gobi; and that 2a Divisione Libica was under command of Fifth Army in June 1940 and located at Tripoli, and thereafter transferred in July 1940 to Fifth Army and stationed at Tobruk

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
The 2ª d.lib. was part of the 5ª Armata, but was under operational control by Comando Superiore Africa Settentrionale as a theater reserve (along with the d.aut. «Bologna» e «23 marzo»). 5ª Armata couldn't commit the division without C.S. A.S. authorization. This reserve was planned to reinforce 10ª Armata if Balbo decided to invade Egypt. On 9 June, the division received orders to transfer to the 10ª Armata and had only begun to make the move. See In Africa settentrionale La preparazione al conflitto pp. 63 e 87.

Pista! Jeff

jbroshot

Thanks Jeff. I was relying on the article listing Italian Army armies, corps and divisions in that edition of Rivista Militaire
And my command of Italian is practically non-existent (have use Google translate a lot)

Merry Christmas

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Jim

My comments were only minor correctives. Physically the 2ª d. lib was still in the Tripolitania but the decision had been made and move to the Cirenaica initiated. Wargames' questions have been aimed more at creating a wargame, so in those terms the division was effectively still in Tripolitania on 10 June.

In terms of the actual military history, the division was part of the 10ª Armata in June.

Pista! Jeff

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
From my limited sources, yes. How much of it began to move on 9 June is unknown to me. Movement was by trucks and there was a shortage of trucks. The first positive report I have of the 2ª d. lib. on the Egyptian border is from 2 July.

Always happy to be corrected by better information.

Pista! Jeff

Wargames

From this source, to be found and viewed on ISSU

pages from rivista militaire

(at pages 355 to 358)

It would appear that 1a Divisione Libica was under command of Tenth Army in June 1940 and stationed near Bir el Gobi; and that 2a Divisione Libica was under command of Fifth Army in June 1940 and located at Tripoli, and thereafter transferred in July 1940 to Fifth Army and stationed at Tobruk
Thank you!