• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Maritime navigation charts

Turbulent98

Would anybody have a reference of navigational points as they appeared on charts used by the RMA and appearing in vessels logbooks? For example Punta Licosa. There is a postwar lighthouse offshore but was the reference in the logbook to somewhere on the mainland?

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Turbulent98

Is RMA the Regia Marina (R.M.) or something else? I assume that the location is on the south side of the Salerno landing beaches.

This US Army Map Service map used an Italian 1908 map as its baseline. Castellabate This is not a nautical chart. There is a tower marked on the map, but I don't see a lighthouse. It is quite possible that the tower is also a lighthouse, but isn't marked as such. The map was updated in 1943 by the US Army.

I don't know of a source for period nautical charts.

Pista! Jeff

jbroshot

I don't know if this is any help but the 1917 edition of the Mediterranean Pilot Volume II (issued by the US Navy's Hydrographic Office) which covers the west coast of Italy mentions "Cape Licosa" as the "southern extremity of the Gulf of Salerno....on the cape is a tower"
and "a flashing white light...has been established on Licosa Islet, off Cape Licosa".

Which can be downloaded from Internet Archive

Mediterranean Pilot Volume II

Cape Licosa is described on page 300 [page 325 of the pdf copy]

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent find James.