• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Motorization of artillery in AS

Kustosz2137

I was wondering, what was estimated average level of motorization in artillery regiments used during campaign in the AS?
I'm expecting that answer will vary, based on type of the division of particular regiment, so ones that interest me the most are D. Corazzata, D. Motorizzata, D. Fanteria and D. Libica (all on average).
Also one more technical thing;
When looking for photos of Italian artillery pieces in AS I'm finding mostly ones equipped with wheels for mechanical traction (newer, metal with rubber bands), but almost none for animal traction (older, wooden with metal bands). Is it somehow connected with motorization of the units, or old wheels were just being replaced by newer ones, even for animal transport?

Francoquarter

the italian artillery in north africa was motorized*, excluding the position unit and a few pack 65/17 on dromedary

* motorized at italian way, they had the vehicles for move the guns, it's not compulsory that they had enough vehicles for move all the unit man and equipment

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
The artillery in A.S. was fully motorized with the exceptions pointed out by Francoquarter. The units were authorized sufficient vehicles to move everything in one move. For example, a d.f. rgt. art. had over 100 trucks, not including the 54 prime movers used to tow the 52 guns. The crews, staff, and logistical support units all had their own vehicles.

Wheels were upgraded as needed/repairs. Older guns upgraded for mechanical towing were normally indicated by (TM) (Traino Meccanico). The metal wheels with rubber rims had limits when those guns had mechanical towing, hence the wide use of transport en portee. Pneumonic tires were needed to make a gun fully towable by vehicles at speed.

Pista! Jeff