• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Must have books

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Actually not quite. Dunning list the initial stormo that the gruppo was assigned. Then one must read through the associated text to discover whether the gruppo changed stormo. For example, the 37 gruppo (pp.62–67) was assigned to the 18 Stormo, but moved to the 45 Stormo in Mar 42.

My comment was that he has charts that allow a quick check to see which squadriglia was assigned to which gruppo over time. He doesn't provide the same for the stormi. The information is there, but one must read through every entry to see which gruppi changed stormi. Fortunately the OB of the stormi was pretty consistent, so the number of changes are pretty low. Disbanding gruppi and squadriglia were more common, so if one wishes to see the composition of a specific stormo in 1943, one must check each entry of the known gruppi to see if that gruppo was still assigned, reassigned, or disbanded. You can't quickly find whether a different gruppo was assigned to that stormo in 1943 unless you check every entry for that type of gruppo.

This is a minor nitpick, but all too often only the stormi are identified in books.

Pista! Jeff

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
The R.S.I. is not a main area of my research, but I have been thinking about a follow-up book to Infantrymen of the Air addressing the Italian paratroopers in 1943–45 (both sides). Maurizio mentioned Arena's three volume series on the R.S.I., so I spent the last few months tracking down the volumes.
ArenaRSI.jpg

I haven't yet spend much time reading them, but I would say that they are a must for anyone interested in the R.S.I. There is a lot of material/information in these quite hefty tomes. 100s of photographs make the volumes a visual treat. Like Arena's other books, one will need to read through everything to pull out the information as it is all written as part of the narrative (no simplified charts or appendices that organize the material).

Pista! Jeff

Last edited:

Special K

Actually not quite. Dunning list the initial stormo that the gruppo was assigned. Then one must read through the associated text to discover whether the gruppo changed stormo. For example, the 37 gruppo (pp.62–67) was assigned to the 18 Stormo, but moved to the 45 Stormo in Mar 42.

My comment was that he has charts that allow a quick check to see which squadriglia was assigned to which gruppo over time. He doesn't provide the same for the stormi. The information is there, but one must read through every entry to see which gruppi changed stormi. Fortunately the OB of the stormi was pretty consistent, so the number of changes are pretty low. Disbanding gruppi and squadriglia were more common, so if one wishes to see the composition of a specific stormo in 1943, one must check each entry of the known gruppi to see if that gruppo was still assigned, reassigned, or disbanded. You can't quickly find whether a different gruppo was assigned to that stormo in 1943 unless you check every entry for that type of gruppo.

This is a minor nitpick, but all too often only the stormi are identified in books.

Pista! Jeff
Thanks for that warning Jeff, now I understand it better. Cheers!