• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Organization of 47/32 gun units

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
During my years of research, I have discovered that there are four different types of 47/32 gun units. These organizations are based on role within a larger organization, not the role they are provided to fill (if that makes sense). The four organizations are:

-batteria d'accompagnamento
-compagnia d'accompagnamento
-batteria
-compagnie controcarro.

Batteria d'accompagnamento. This is a four-gun unit assigned to infantry formations to provide infantry close-support fires. The 47L32 Elefantino was designed as both a unit-tank gun and as an infantry support gun. For the latter role, it had an effective HE round.

Compagnia d'accompagnamento. Here the Elefantino is part of a larger unit. It can be assigned as one or more plotoni (platoons) of two guns each to the company. The cp. d'acc can vary in its organization based on which size unit it is assigned (division, regiment, battalion) and/or type of unit (fanteria, motorizzata, bersaglieri, corazzata).

Batteria. This is a four-gun unit that has its main function to act as artillery. The divisone paracadutisti Folgore has six batterie of Elafantini.

Compagnia controcarro. This is an 8-gun company that is assigned at the divisional level in 1940. Later, the cp. c.c. could be found at the regimental level. In April 1941 you find some unusual cp. c.c. organizations in A.S., but these are temporary and don't exist for any length of time. These are mainly the units created with the German 37/45 to increase the Italian divisions c.c. capability.

I have come to recognize that modern writers can be sloppy in the use of these terms. it took me several years to recognize the logic/pattern in the terms. Period documents are pretty clear, but second/third hand accounts can be suspect in their language.

Comments/errors?
Updated from Post 2 & 4.

Pista! Jeff

Last edited:
In TOE the number of 47/32 guns are 8 or 8x???? ....on the field some type of 1940 division were reduced to 6 for absence of guns but the TOE was 8x????

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Both Dili and Maurizio are correct. After Dili posted, I check my sources and read that the cp. cc. was 8 guns.

That left me a puzzle. Why did I believe there was only 6 guns in the cp. c.c. in the d. cor.? This is something I have understood for a long time and I know I didn't create it from thin air. So I went back to the first books I collected on the R.E. back in the 70s-80s. Sure enough...

TME 30-429 Handbook on the Italian Military Forces (Aug 1943) p. 95 in my reprint, p. 106 in the original, list 6 guns in the cp. c.c. David Meyers' Unit Organizations of World War II (1977) p. 58 also shows 6 guns.

I never corrected that original bit of knowledge in my thinking. Post 1 corrected. Thanks!

Pista! Jeff