• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Prisoners of War

DrG

I have not the figure of the exact number of Allied POWs in North Africa, but I have the figures of the British, American and French PoWs held in Italy at some dates and they should provide a good estimate. In fact, unless they had been captured in North Africa they could only have been captured as survivors from sunk ships or from downed airplanes.
Moreover, all the Allied men captured in North Africa were detained in Italy, given that the command of that theater of war was ultimately Italian.
30 November 1942​
31 December 1942​
31 March 1943​
30 April 1943​
Degaullist French
627​
681​
2,330​
1,914​
British
70,155​
71,227​
70,521​
68,898​
American
24​
446​
742​
556​

I have never read of air transport of PoWs; maybe, if it happened, it was used only for top ranking prisoners, such as generals.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I only offer the following as a comment, not to seriously challenge the story.

Interesting story about your wife's nonno. While taking valuable rings from prisoners is not unheard of, replacing them is quite odd. When I first read your post, my thoughts went directly to the Oro alla Patria campaign from 1935. I don't know if her nonno was married at that time.

Pista! Jeff