• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

SM.79 for sell

lala1

Hello i wanna ask if there are some SM.79 bombers that civilians can buy it can be wreck i can restore it or something because I was searching on internet and found many pages with ww1 and ww2 planes for sale but there wasnt any italian. Thank you for your answer

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum.

There are few surviving Italian WW2 aircraft. There are multiple reasons for this, but the reality is that unless one finds a crashed aircraft in some remote location, there aren't any.

IIRC a CR.42 was being restored in the UK. They were using parts from four aircraft, as well as remanufacturing missing parts.

See https://comandosupremo.com/forums/index.php?threads/fiat-cr42-being-restored.1203/

v/r Jeff

lala1

Vítejte na fóru.

Italských letadel 2. světové války přežilo jen málo. Existuje pro to více důvodů, ale realita je taková, že pokud člověk nenajde havarované letadlo na nějakém vzdáleném místě, žádné tam nejsou.

IIRC a CR.42 byl restaurován ve Velké Británii. Používali díly ze čtyř letadel a také repasovali chybějící díly.

Viz https://comandosupremo.com/forums/index.php?threads/fiat-cr42-being-restored.1203/

v/r Jeffe
I Know but lot of SM.79 survive the war and we remaked as flying yachts

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
The are only two known surviving SM.79. There could be some wrecks in Libya, but an internet search doesn't show any discoveries.

If any aircraft were converted for private use, they don't appear to exist anymore.

Pista! Jeff

Last edited:
In Italy there are now only two specimens of that type of aircraft. One of the two remaining, built by the Officine Reggiane in 1942 is kept in the Caproni museum in Trento; the second after a long restoration that brought it back to the military version with the livery of Carlo Emanuele Buscaglia's aircraft, is located in the Air Force Museum of Vigna di Valle. The remains of a third specimen were used for a scenic display at the Volandia museum near Malpensa airport.
All the best
Maurizio

Turbulent98

I was recently watching the film They who dare (1954) and two SM79 appear in it. They both belonged to the Lebanese airforce and were in flyable condition. I believe that these two aircraft may be those in museums in Italy. Technically all you need to rebuild an aircraft is the manufacturers plate and a lot of money. I can think of a number of Spitfires where the plate is the only original item . Trying to convince Easa that you should be allowed to fly it will again take a huge amount of money and patience.

1089maul

Turbulent98,
Very interesting. One can’t help think what else lies in the desert waiting to be found. The SM79 wreckage even in its state would make a good memorial!
Bob

lala1