• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Umberto Amedeo di Savoia, Duke of Aosta

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
by orlando lorenzini » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:50 am

Hello everybody:

My question is this occasion is about the biography of the Duke of Aosta; he was the commander in chief of the Italian Army in East Africa during the Second World War. All types of dates and links about this important Italian military will be well received. I can read the Italian language.

One salute from Spain

Orlando Lorenzini

----------

by Joseph Salemi » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:27 am

For an interesting quote from a poem about this man, "La Canzone del Duca di Ferro"

------------

by orlando lorenzini » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:22 am

Hello Joseph:
Thanks for your reply. I have read the translation to English of the poems about Duke of Aosta. He was an Italian patriot, he was a Savoia. His grandfather was the King of Spain Amadeo I de Saboya in 1870-71 in difficult years for Spain; that time in Spain was a change time, in Spain tried to put a democratic regime but failed.

Return to speak about the prince Amedeo di Saboya, he was catholic and his family also.

Orlando Lorenzini (Spain)

-----------

by orlando lorenzini » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:51 am

(following the former post)
The Duke of Aosta was military, but he was also a lawyer and doctor in Right; he loved Africa, therefore, he buried in Africa (Nairobi, Kenya); he was a pilot of aircraft and he was chield he studied in Sant Andrews College(England); he spoke the English language perfect. He was a cultured man and he was a humanist. He didn´t want the war against England, he was a man of the peace, but he was a military and he was prepared to take the arms to defend the Italian Empire in East Africa. He was a gallantry soldier. He died in Kenya due a illness (thisis).He was an italian gentleman and he had a great and human heart.

I hope that anyone can to complete this brief biography about this single man. Men of this type did great to his nation.

One great salute from my very beautiful country: Spain

Orlando Lorenzini

--------

by sergemaster » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:40 am

Amadeo was born in Turin to Prince Emanuele Filiberto, 2nd Duke of Aosta (son of Amadeus I of Spain and Princess Maria Vittoria) and Princess Hélène (daughter of Prince Philippe of Orléans and the Infanta Maria Isabel of Spain). His great-grandfather was King Victor Emmanuel II of Italy, making him a member of the House of Savoy.

Amadeo was a very tall man. Once asked by a journalist about his height, he replied: "198 centimeters" (6 ft 6 in).

Amadeo entered the Italian army and fought with distinction in the artillery in World War I. He left the Italian army in 1921 and traveled widely in Africa. He subsequently rejoined the Italian army and served under Marshall Rodolfo Graziani in the pacification of Libya.

In 1932, he joined the Air Force and became Governor of Ethiopia after the Italian conquest in 1937. After the Second Italo-Abyssinian War, Amadeo was made the Governor-General (and hence Commander-in-Chief) of Italian East Africa in 1940, in which capacity, he led the Italian forces in the East African Campaign the same year. He supervised the Italian conquest of British Somaliland and the subsequent defense of Italy's African Empire. Unable to counter the British counter-invasion, he surrendered at Amba Alagi near Gondar on May 18, 1941.

Shortly after his surrender, Amadeo died of tuberculosis and malaria at a prisoner-of-war camp in Nairobi, Kenya on March 3, 1942. He was succeeded by his brother, Aimone, 4th Duke of Aosta.

Amadeo was well known and highly regarded for being a gentleman. In one instance, before he fled his headquarters at Addis Ababa, he wrote a note to the British to thank them in advance for protecting the women and children in the cities. Count Galeazzo Ciano, Italian Foreign Minister under Mussolini (who was also his father-in-law), paid Amadeo a high compliment in his famous diaries. Upon being given the news of the Duke's death Ciano wrote, "So dies the image of a Prince and an Italian. Simple in his ways, broad in outlook, and humane in spirit." Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia was also impressed by the respect and care that the Duke of Aosta showed to the exiled Emperor's personal property left behind in Addis Ababa. In a gesture of thanks, the Emperor during his state visit to Italy in 1953 invited the widowed Duchess of Aosta to tea during his stay in Milan but was then informed by the Italian government that receiving the Duchess would cause offense to the Republic, and so the Emperor sadly canceled the visit. Instead, he invited the 6th Duke of Aosta to Ethiopia in the mid-sixties and accorded him all the protocol due to visiting royalty.

A NOI!!

Last edited: