• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Confusion on number of trucks N.A. 1940

Wargames

I have the following quote from Operation in North Africa Vol. 1 page 101.

"The maneuver design was at once communicated to the Comando Supremo, but it raised a doubt: the 600 trucks of which he made noted in the plan which were? The 1st of September 230 motor vehicles had arrived at Tripoli, the 7th was foreseen for disembarkation of the first 100, the 13th (probably) for an additional 360, the remaining quarter shipment of approximately 400 were foreseen before the 20th of September."

I read that as 230 trucks arrived September 1st of which 460 were to be landed by September 13. There seems to be a translation error.

Francoquarter

it write the 1st landed 230, the 7th will an other 100, the 13 an other 360 and the fourth will be 400 for the 20th

my english is bad, also that of (translate) book is not good

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I will once again remind members that as a courtesy if you wish others to assist your research, please provide the cites of the sources you are already using. That allows others to check your existing data, avoid repeating information you already possess, and saves time of those trying to help you.

It took me some time to find the page you are looking at (p.99). As Francoquarter stated, one must be careful with the Denny translations. Also note that Denny translated the 2nd editions of the first two volumes which took the maps from the rear pocket and inserted them into the text, eliminating the separate maps. That changed the page numbering.

Francoquarter's information is correct.

The actual translation of the sentences in question are:

P.98

At the time this was impossible, but as soon as the 600 trucks expected from Italy had landed [unloaded], the matter could be considered resolved.

Different from Denny:

At the time that was impossible, but as soon as the 600 trucks that arrived from Italy were disembarked the issue could not considered resolved.

P.99

The maneuver plan was immediately communicated to the Supreme Headquarters, but it raised a doubt: what [I would use where instead of what] are the 600 trucks mentioned in the project? On 1 September 230 vehicles had arrived in Tripoli, on the 7th the landing of another 100 was expected, on the 13th (probably) of a further 360, the remaining fourth shipment of about 400 was expected by 20 September.

Which has a subtle, but significant difference from the one in Denny's translation:

The maneuver design was at once communicated to the Comando Supremo, but it raised a doubt: the 600 trucks of which he made noted in the plan which were?
The 1st of September 230 motor vehicles had arrived at Tripoli, the 7th was foreseen for disembarkation of the first 100, the 13th (probably) for an additional 360, the remaining quarter shipment of approximately 400 were foreseen before the 20th of September.

Pista! Jeff

Last edited: