Background on the Semovente da 75/34
The Semovente da 75/34 is an Italian Self-Propelled Gun (SPG) developed in World War Two and saw limited action in Italy and the Balkans. Introduced in late 1942, it entered service on 29 April 1943. This SPG utilized the longer barreled 75 mm L34 gun attached to the M 15/42 chassis. Fiat-Ansaldo built a total of 192 of these units. In 1943, the Regio Esercito placed orders for 500 more with the widened M 43 chassis. After the Armistice of 8 September 1943, Germany assumed custody of the remaining Semovente da 75/34’s and utilized them in Rome and the Balkans as the Sturmgeschütz M42. Eighty units were constructed following the armistice.
The Regio Esercito employed the Semovente 75/34 following the Armistice of Italy in the defense of Rome. Between 08-12 September 1943, the CXXXV Gruppo of the 135th Division Ariete II fought the Germans. A number of these SPG’s were destroyed and the rest fell into German hands. Germany utilized this vehicle in Italy and the Balkans until 1945.
|Specifications||Semovente da 75/34|
|Crew||3 Commander/Gunner, Driver, Loader/Radio Operator|
|Length||16 ft 6 in (5.04 m)|
|Width||ft 4 in (2.3 m)|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.8 m)|
|Powerplant||FIAT SPA 15TB M42 (192 hp)|
|Speed||20 mph (32 km/h)|
|Operational Range||143 mi (230 km)|
|Armament||75 mm L/34 gun One 8 mm Breda 38 machine gun|
|Firing Range||13,670.2 yards(12,500 m)|
|Muzzle Velocity||2047.2 fps (624 mps)|
|Ammunition||42 Rounds 75 mm Armor Piercing (AP) + High Explosive (HE) Ammunition|
|Armor||Up to 42 mm|