This category provides a detailed overview and specifications of the many aircraft of the Regia Aeronautica Italiana (Royal Italian Air Force). Between the early 1900s to the late 1930s, Italy created a premier air force. The Italians were pioneers in the aviation industry. It was the first nation to utilize aircraft for reconnaissance and for bombing raids in North Africa. By the 1930s, Italy was the holder of many aviation speed records. The Regia Aeronautica performed well on various fronts, to include Italian East Africa and the Spanish Civil War. However, by 1940 the Regia Aeronautica was a small fleet of mostly outdated aircraft. Some well respected exceptions include the Macchi MC.202 and the Savoia Marchetti SM.79 torpedo bomber.
Category: Regia Aeronautica
Reggiane Re.2002 Ariete is an Italian fighter-bomber first developed in 1940. It became operational in 1942 and was used in the defense of Sicily and Italy.
The Campini Caproni N1 jet, also known as the Campini Caproni CC2, was the first jet to come out of Italy. It was the world’s second jet plane.
The Fiat CR.32 biplane fighter performed exceptionally well during the Spanish Civil War. However, it was outmatched after Italy entered World War Two.
The Fiat G.50 Freccia was the first single-seat monoplane fighter designed and built in Italy in 1937. It was obsolete by the time World War Two started.
Many aviation experts consider the FIAT G.55 Centauro as the best single seat fighter made by the Italian air force in World War Two. Read more on Fiat G55.
The Fiat CR.25 was built in 1937. It served well in many multi-role functions such as long-range fighter, reconnaisance, light bomber, and passenger cargo.
Background on the Savoia-Marchetti SM.75 The Savoia-Marchetti SM.75 Marsupiale was a civilian airliner which the Regia Aeronautica primarily utilized for military personnel and cargo flights. Military version of the Savoia-Marchetti SM.75 ...
The Piaggio P108 was the only heavy four-engine bomber to see service with the Regia Aeronautica during World War Two. It was an innovative design.
The Caproni Ca.310 was an Italian reconnaissance and light bomber monoplane which first flew on 20 February 1937 and retired from service in 1948.